-by Jeremy Gloff
-appeared on OUTmusic’s Myspace Page
-October 1st, 2008
Happy October!!!! Are you ready for another OUTmusic featured artist? This time we bring to you the wonderful Melange LaVonne! Melange is a wonderful writer/performer and I strongly encourage that you check out her myspace page:
Melange was kind enough to answer one of my infamous q and a’s! Here’s what she had to say:
1) i know it’s really hard to narrow this down to one word…but if you could say what inspires your writing and music most in one word, what would it be?
“Heart” I have alot of goodness within me that I want others to see and acknowledge throught my music.
2) who are some of your favorite artists?
I really like Common, and talib kewli, jill scott, dephe mode, duran duran, and tears for fears to name my top fav.
3) how old were you when you realized you were gay?
I was in kindergarden, I wasnt sure what gay was but I know I was attracted to women and thought about them. It felt normal to me, and it was.
4) do you have a memorable “coming out” moment?
5) what is your favorite US city to perform in?
Its a tie between NY and San Francisco. They both were amazing experiences and the crowd was so energized.
6) what do you to to relax on tour?
I just like to hang out with the other artists and sightsee and just have fun. I’m a pretty low key and mellow person.
7) what’s something about you that would surprise your fans?
That I’m actually a big dork off stage, even though on stage I may look cool. I’m proud to be a dork too. I’m like the professor of dorks, ha ha.
8) any future projects?
My next project will be a Christian based album and maybe work on some collabos with other artists.
9) any advice for other out artists?
Know the business, study it, and obtain an attorney or manager if you plan on doing the music thing seriously, if not, have fun with it and its a great way to meet interesting people from all kinds of backgrounds.
10) and the traditional jeremy gloff final question: favorite madonna song!
Thanks to Melange for taking the time to do this! And thanks to J.D. Doyle for helping with our featured artists! You can find more great OUTmusicians at www.outmusic.com and queermusicheritage.com
Til Next Time!
Jeremy Gloff, your OUTmusic featured artist interviewer!!!